Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas Traditions

Christmas arrived with gusto for me this year. I came back from Africa only five days before.  It didn't even feel like Christmas in Uganda. They are not as extravagant as we are with decorations, music and advertising everywhere like we are here in Australia.   I thought I was organised before leaving but it became very apparent that I wasn't!  I didn't realise how many presents I had to wrap. Why did I have 5 kids again? Oh my goodness...

Christmas Cooking!
A Favourite Tradtion!


You see my husband Martin is Danish. So they celebrate Christmas on Christmas eve only. It is always a great time together with family. It works out great for us...Christmas Eve with Martin's family and Christmas Day with my family.
The Danes have so many unique traditions. One of them is walking around the Christmas tree holding hands and singing Christmas carols before opening the presents.  Really puts things into perspective!
It is lots of fun for the children and can be very moving too when singing some of the more traditional carols like "Oh Holy Night".  Another tradition is the "Almond game". A whole blanched almond is hidden in a rice pudding, also with chopped up almonds in (they only eat this pudding on Christmas Eve, no other time of the year). The idea of the game is to find the almond while eating the pudding without biting it..AND without telling anyone. You have to discreetly get it out of your mouth without anyone seeing!  If you are lucky enough to do all that, you then receive an awesome present. There is usually one for the adults and one for the kids. Martin always wins because he eats 5 times more than anyone else!

So it got me thinking....what are some of the traditions that we have as Australians or in the Hansen family?
I never thought we had any, just like I thought I didn't have an accent either, well until going to Africa!  So apart from the obvious.... beach, prawns on the BBQ, I couldn't think of anything.  So I thought I  would share our Hansen family tradition that we do every year.

1.  After having our children, Christmas suddenly took on a whole new level. They rip open the presents, fling the paper over the shoulder only to want more! So many years ago after the carnage of one Christmas morning, I was grieved feeling like we had lost the true meaning of Christmas. So I decided that every Christmas morning we would have a party for Jesus!  With balloons, streamers and a chocolate cake for breakfast. We light the candles and sing happy birthday. The week leading up to Jesus birthday we talk lots about it in preparing for "the party" just like we would for any other member of our family. I have found this really works and creates a good atmosphere for my kids as we start opening presents.

Happy Birthday Jesus!
2.  When we do open the presents, I set a new set of rules all those years ago too.... One person only chooses a present for someone and gives it to them. We all watch them open it and comment. Then that person chooses a gift for someone else and we then watch them open it. It goes on like that until all presents are opened.


  




Yes... It does take a long while!  







But I was determined to find a way for the children to take the focus off themselves and onto others. 
It's so ok to have fun on Christmas Day and indulge in food and gifts, but we just need to remember the real reason for this season!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! We were talking to some german friends and they do a similar thing on Christmas eve. They beleive that is the real time to celebrate as they beleive Jesus was born at night. I love the idea of having a cake for Jesus Birthday! We do the whole one present at a time thing too! It puts things in perspective! Love that photo of you two lovebirds! You both look great for having 5 kids!! xx

    ReplyDelete

BIBLE

BIBLE

KEYS TO THE KINGDOM